Simple to make and very delicious! Many of the restaurants now offer “breskvice” as a dessert. They are often served at Croatian festivals and as street food, almost like famous “fritule”. “Breskvice can also be purchased in the food stores and supermarkets from local bakeries. If you’ve already tried Pear Shaped cookies and love them, then know this: Cookie filling is walnuts, cookie crumbs, apricot jam and rum. Then dipped in peach brandy and food coloring and rolled in sugar. Yummy!
Breskvice, or Croatian Peach Cookies, are a delightful treat with a peach-shaped appearance and a sweet, fruity filling. Here’s a recipe to make these delicious cookies:
For the Dough:
250g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
100g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened 100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling:
200g (7 oz) ground walnuts or hazelnuts 100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
2-3 tablespoons apricot jam or peach jam 1-2 tablespoons rum (optional)
For the Syrup:
200ml (3/4 cup) water
200g (1 cup) granulated sugar 1 lemon (zest and juice)
Apricot or peach jam
Red food coloring (optional) Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Prepare the Dough:
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until the dough comes together. 5. Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Prepare the Filling:
1. In a bowl, mix the ground walnuts or hazelnuts, sugar, apricot or peach jam, and rum (if using) until you have a thick, paste-like filling.
3. Shape the Dough:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take a small amount of dough (about a teaspoon) and shape it into a small disc.
- Place a small amount of the filling in the center of the disc.
- Carefully fold the dough over the filling to create a peach-like shape with a flat bottom.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet, and repeat until all the dough and filling areused.
4. Bake the Cookies:
1. Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden brown.
5. Prepare the Syrup:
- In a saucepan, combine water, sugar, and the zest and juice of a lemon.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes until it thickensslightly.
6. Assemble the Breskvice:
- While the cookies are still warm, dip each one into the warm syrup to coat it.
- If you want to add a reddish blush to your peaches, mix a small amount of red food coloring witha bit of apricot or peach jam. Brush this mixture onto the top of the cookies for a more realistic
- Let the cookies cool and absorb the syrup.
- Once the cookies have cooled and set, dust them with powdered sugar to resemble the fuzz on a peach.
- Serve your Breskvice and enjoy this Croatian delight!
These Croatian Peach Cookies are a labor of love, but they are well worth the effort. They are perfect for special occasions and holidays, and they look stunning on any dessert table.